If you think the key to happiness lies in finding your soul mate or achieving fame and fortune, think again. Ironically, the energy you waste and the longing for “more” usually leads to frustration and misery. And while you’re searching for this love, success, and abundance, you’re missing out on the many opportunities for happiness within reach each and every day. By letting go of the anxiety and yearning for the things you think will bring you joy, and instead focusing your attention on the present and its gifts, you may discover happiness for a lifetime. Here are seven easy tasks you can do to fill your heart with happiness:
- Bask in the simple pleasures. The pets you love, treasured memories, silly jokes, sunny days. It’s the small things in life that bring us the greatest joy.
- Do what lifts you up. You might feel exhilarated when you move, dance, paint, sing, or meditate. Whatever is good for your soul, do more of it!
- Count your blessings. If you are surrounded by loved ones and are warm, healthy, and cared for, acknowledge your many blessings and give thanks for them. Gratitude is an instant happiness-booster.
- Connect with people who are happy. Both positive and negative energy is contagious, so choose to surround yourself with people who bring real happiness into your life.
- Find purpose. Those who believe they are contributing to the well-being of humanity tend to feel better about their lives. Most of us find immense fulfillment in being part of the greater good.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. Nothing good ever comes from it. Whether we‘re comparing the size of our houses, our finances, our physical features, or any number of other attributes, so many of us fall into the comparison trap. Remember that your life is unique, as is your journey through it. Focusing your energy on all that is wonderful in your world is a much better way to create a happy life. How your life stacks up to someone else’s simply doesn’t matter.
- Practice positive thinking. It can literally change your life! Every morning, ask yourself, “What kind of day am I going to have?” You create your mindset for the whole day by making the choice. By choosing to have an amazing day, you will flood your body, mind, and spirit with happiness. And guess what? You will have an amazing day!
Happiness is good for your health and it improves your quality of life. It’s so important its even written in the preamble of our American Constitution by our forefathers. Smart folks, and they didn’t see it as some new age silliness. If you want more of it, pursue it actively. You’ll be, well, happier for it.
By Andrew Walen, LCSW-C, LICSW, CEDS, Founder, Executive Director at The Body Image Therapy Center. For help call 877-674-2843 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.