Washington, D.C. Office for Eating Disorders:
The Body Image Therapy Center (TBITC) is Washington D.C.’s premier eating disorders treatment program offering comprehensive and compassionate care from Partial Hospital and Intensive Outpatient levels to standard outpatient care. We’ll help you learn to accept your body and learn to love yourself from the inside out. For more information call us at (877) 674-2843 x 0 or click here to contact us.
Who we treat:
- Men and women ages 18 and up struggling with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder (aka compulsive overeating), compulsive exercise, and muscle dysmorphia.
- Patients who are 16 years old and up can attend once they are assessed for maturity, readiness and motivation to participate in an adult-focused program. For those who need an adolescent focused program, we refer to our Columbia, MD program.
- Patients are accepted based on medical need and psychological readiness for care
- Medically stable to the extent that more extensive medical monitoring is not required
- No danger to self or others
- Can demonstrate increasing self-sufficiency in eating/weight restoration
- Fair to good motivation to recover, including cooperativeness, insight, and ability to control or tolerate obsessive thoughts
- Can greatly reduce compulsive exercising or are ready to begin including light exercise again
- Can greatly reduce binge eating, purging, laxative and diuretic abuse in non-structured settings
- Others can provide adequate emotional and practical support and structure
- Establish a regular and sustainable eating pattern including three regular meals a day plus snacks as required by a dietitian-designed meal plan
- Stop all eating disorder behaviors for 4 consecutive weeks
- Recognize unhelpful thinking patterns and learn skills to change them
- Develop and demonstrate competence with at least 5 alternative coping and self-soothing skills
- Decrease the importance of weight and shape in defining self-worth
- Integrate physical activity into daily routine and improve mood and self-esteem
Treatment Team Includes:
- Licensed masters or doctorate level clinicians
- Registered dietitian
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
IOP and PHP Treatment includes:
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy (optional for adult clients, required for adolescent clients)
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Supervision of therapeutic meal(s) each session
- Weekly medical and psychiatric follow ups
- Coordination of care with an outpatient team if applicable
IOP and PHP Groups Include:
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Nutrition Therapy
- Stress management
- Mindfulness training
- Art Therapy
- Goal setting
- Weekly meal planning
PHP Program Hours:
- Patients attend Monday through Friday.
- Group meets from 11 am to 5 p.m. and provide two snacks and one meal per day
- Individual and family therapy, nutrition counseling, psychiatric review, and medical review occur weekly.
IOP Program Hours:
- Patients attend Monday through Thursday and step down to three nights a week as they prepare to step down to outpatient.
- IOP group meets from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- Individual, family therapy and nutrition counseling is also provided once a week.
Standard Outpatient Services:
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Nutrition counseling
- Group therapy
- Medical and psychiatric care
- We are in-network with most insurances and can often arrange single case agreements for those who do not have coverage for care with us. In most cases, you will be responsible for your deductible and co-pays.
- Please call us so we can verify your insurance information. As a courtesy to prospective patients our admissions staff will, with your consent, contact your insurance carrier to obtain a quote of insurance benefits. We will share this information with you to help you make an educated decision about your treatment options and what your insurance will cover.
- Our staff will also coordinate insurance coverage and payment for all treatment authorized by your insurance company.
Call the Body Image Therapy Center with offices in Maryland, Virginia, & DC at (877)-674-2843 ext. 0, today
or CLICK HERE to contact our Intake Coordinator.