Telehealth Adolescent Intensive Outpatient Program for Eating Disorders Accepting Clients Now!
If you or a loved one is a teenager suffering from an eating disorder, or other body image disorder we can help. Body Image Therapy Center knows how difficult life can be for teen and pre-teen kids ages 11-18.
When teenagers come to Body Image Therapy Center, they are typically under intense stress. Most often teenagers describe their stress coming from:
- School and a deep perfectionistic need to get all As and feel like a failure if they don’t succeed even if their parents say it’s okay
- Bullying at school and in the community
- Major change in the home such as separation and divorce or moving to a new area
- Hormonal changes in their body associated with their physical development
- Athletic performance and drive to be “the best”
- Social pressure to look and act a certain way
- Trauma, abuse, and neglect
- Underlying mental health concerns like anxiety, depression, OCD, ADHD, and the like
- And with the COVID-19 pandemic, kids are feeling that their world is truly out of control. Seeking control through food and exercise is now a highly expected consequence.
Eating disorders develop as a coping tool to self-medicate and manage these problems. When a teenager is stuck in this disorder, they can’t simply choose a healthy behavior because they were told to. They need real skills to learn how to manage their stress and anxiety, a place to feel connected when so much else is missing while stuck at home, peer support and encouragement, and expert individualized attention from a cohesive treatment team.
In addition, we are teaching parents how to cope with their child’s eating disorder, so they can reinforce at home what we are working on in program. For many parents, this is all new information, and they grow emotionally and intellectually right along with their kids.
To learn more about how Body Image Therapy Center can help you or someone you love, call (877)-674-2843 today or CLICK HERE to contact our Intake Coordinator for more information.