The Body Image Therapy Center (TBITC) is Washington D.C.’s premier Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) and Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) offering comprehensive and compassionate care for those with eating disorders. We’ll help you learn to accept your body and learn to love yourself from the inside out. For more information call us at (877)-674-2843 or click here to contact us.
Who we treat:
- Men and women ages 18 and up struggling with anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder (aka compulsive overeating). Other diagnoses include OSFED (other specific eating disorders such as atypical anorexia, sub-threshold bulimia, sub-threshold BED, purging disorder, and night eating syndrome), compulsive exercise behaviors, and dual diagnosis clients who have an eating disorder mixed with a mood disorder.
- Patients who are 16 years old and up can attend IOP or PHP once they are assessed for maturity and readiness and motivation to participate in an adult-focused program.
- Patients are accepted based on medical need and psychological readiness for care
- Medically stable to the extent that more extensive medical monitoring is not required
- No danger to self or others
- Self-sufficient in eating/weight restoration
- Fair to good motivation to recover, including cooperativeness, insight, and ability to control or tolerate obsessive thoughts
- Can greatly reduce compulsive exercising and are ready to begin including light exercise again
- Can greatly reduce binge eating, purging, laxative and diuretic abuse in non-structured settings
- Others are able to provide adequate emotional and practical support and structure
- Establish a regular and sustainable eating pattern including three regular meals a day plus snacks as required by a dietitian-designed meal plan
- Stop all eating disorder behaviors for 4 consecutive weeks
- Recognize unhelpful thinking patterns and learn skills to change them
- Develop and demonstrate competence with at least 5 alternative coping and self-soothing skills
- Decrease the importance of weight and shape in defining self-worth
- Integrate physical activity into daily routine and improve mood and self-esteem
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy (optional for adult clients, required for adolescent clients)
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Supervision of one therapeutic meal per session
- Coordination of care with an outpatient team if applicable
Treatment Team Includes:
- Licensed masters or doctorate level clinicians
- Registered dietician
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Nutrition Therapy
- Stress management
- Mindfulness training
- Art Therapy
- Goal setting
- Weekly meal planning
- Patients attend Monday through Thursday at first and step down to three nights a week as they gain greater independence in their recovery.
- IOP group meets from 5:30-8 p.m.
- PHP clients attend groups Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. as well as time scheduled for individual therapy, psychiatry, nutrition counseling, lunch, and two snacks.
- We are in-network with most insurances, and can often arrange single case agreements for those who do not have coverage for care with us. In most cases, you will be responsible for your deductible and co-pays.
- Please call us so we can verify your insurance information. As a courtesy to prospective patients our admissions staff will, with your consent, contact your insurance carrier to obtain a quote of insurance benefits. We will share this information with you to help you make an educated decision about your treatment options and what your insurance will cover.
- Our staff will also coordinate insurance coverage and payment for all treatment authorized by your insurance company.
Call the Body Image Therapy Center with offices in Central Maryland & DC at (877)-674-2843 today or CLICK HERE to contact our Intake Coordinator.