Central Maryland Adolescent IOP for Eating Disorders
Adolescents & Young Adults
The Body Image Therapy Center (TBITC) is Central Maryland’s home to the only Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) for male and female adolescents ages 11-18. We offer comprehensive and compassionate care for adolescents with all manner of eating disorders and related conditions like anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, compulsive exercise, muscle dysmorphia, and related concerns. We understand that treating adolescents is not like treating adults. Their brains, bodies, and lives are different. And we tailor our program to help them and their families learn the tools to recover, find balance in their lives, and shine a light into their bright futures.
We’ll help you learn to accept your body and learn to love yourself from the inside out. For more information contact us or call (877)-674-2843 today.
Who we treat:
- Adolescents and young adults struggling with:
- binge eating
- OSFED (other specific eating disorders)
- atypical anorexia (restricting behaviors exist, but patient is not at a very low weight)
- sub-threshold bulimia (binge and purge behaviors that don’t happen every week, but are still of psychological and physical concern)
- sub-threshold BED (binge behaviors that don’t happen every week, but are still of psychological and physical concern)
- purging disorder (purges after normal sized meals, no bingeing)
- night eating syndrome (eating approximately 50% of calories or more after the last meal of the day, usually in secret and accompanied by sense of shame and guilt)
- ARFID (avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder)
- Patients are accepted based on medical appropriateness and psychological readiness for care as prescribed by the Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- Medically stable to the extent that more extensive medical monitoring is not required
- No danger to self or others
- Self-sufficient in eating/weight restoration with the help of family and outside supports
- Fair to good motivation to recover, including cooperativeness, insight, and ability to control or tolerate obsessive thoughts
- Can greatly reduce compulsive exercising and are ready to begin including light exercise again
- Can greatly reduce binge eating, purging, laxative and diuretic abuse in non-structured settings
- Establish a regular and sustainable eating pattern including three regular meals a day plus snacks as required by a dietitian-designed meal plan
- Stop all eating disorder behaviors for 4 consecutive weeks
- Recognize unhelpful thinking patterns and learn skills to change them
- Develop and demonstrate competence with at least 5 alternative coping and self-soothing skills
- Decrease the importance of weight and shape in defining self-worth
- Integrate physical activity into daily routine and improve mood and self-esteem
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Supervision of one therapeutic meal per session
- Coordination of care with an outpatient team if applicable
Treatment Team Includes:
- Licensed masters or doctorate level clinicians
- Registered dietician
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Nutrition Therapy
- Stress management
- Mindfulness training
- Art Therapy
- Goal setting
- Weekly meal planning
- Patients attend Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- IOP group meets from 4-7 p.m., with Monday groups including parents of multi-family therapy.
- Individual and family therapy and nutrition counseling is also provided once a week.
- We are in-network with most insurances, and can often arrange single case agreements for those who do not have coverage for care with us. In most cases, you will be responsible for your deductible and co-pays.
- Please call us so we can verify your insurance information. As a courtesy to prospective patients our admissions staff will, with your consent, contact your insurance carrier to obtain a quote of insurance benefits. We will share this information with you to help you make an educated decision about your treatment options and what your insurance will cover.
- Our staff will also coordinate insurance coverage and payment for all treatment authorized by your insurance company.
Call the Body Image Therapy Center with offices in Central Maryland & DC at (877)-674-2843 today or CLICK HERE to contact our Intake Coordinator.